“If taxes are laid upon us without our having a legal representation where they are laid, we are reduced from the character of free subjects to the state of tributary slaves.”
Areas of Practice
- Corporate and Commercial Law
- Wills and Estates Law
I joined Keel Cottrelle LLP as Counsel in 2010. My practice focuses on:
- domestic and cross-border tax and estate planning solutions for high net worth individuals, including trust planning
- domestic and international Will and trust planning
- immigration and emigration tax planning, including US expatriation issues
- Immigration trusts and residency planning
- asset protection
- foreign ownership of Canadian and U.S. property, including reporting and compliance issues
- private client inbound and outbound issues
- domestic and cross-border insurance planning
- related private client tax controversy issues, including voluntary disclosures
- estate administration, including advising trustees on a variety of domestic and cross-border issues and tax reporting obligations
Prior to joining Keel Cottrelle LLP I articled at a national firm and later practiced with a boutique Toronto law firm where I was a partner.
- Speaker at the Ontario Bar Association, October 24, 2012 - “ A Practical Guide to Tax Considerations”.
- Speaker at the CFA Society Toronto, October 29, 2013 – “Americans Among Us! U.S. Issue Identification Workshop”.
- Speaker at Society of Trust and Estates Practitioners (STEP), November 05, 2013 – “ Down to Brass Tacks: Nailing FATCA, 8938, and FBAR Reporting for Trusts”.
- Speaker at Ontario Bar Association, May 05, 2014 – “ The Tax Consequences of U.S. Citizens Living and Working in Canada”.
- Speaker at the Federated Press “3rd Cross Border Personal Tax Planning Course”, May 14, 2014.
Publications, News & Media:
- Recipient of the 2012 Widdifield Award for excellence in legal writing in the area of trusts and estates law
- “Tax Amnesty for Americans Living Abroad”, Investment Executive, June 27, 2012
- “Cross-Border Beneficiary Distributions: A Short History of Nearly Everything Tax”, Estates, Trusts and Pensions Journal (Vol. 30, 2011)
- Guest on “The Current” with Anne Marie Tremonte (CBC Radio): Insurance and US Tax Law, September 8, 2011
- “American Among Us”, National Post, July 30, 2011
- “The Ultimate Pledge of Disallegiance”, National Post, September 2, 2011
- “The Long Reach of the US Tax Man” , Investment Executive, October 15, 2011
- Call to the Ontario Bar, 2003
- Call to the New York Bar, 2006
- Bachelor of Laws, McGill University
- Masters of Law in Taxation, University of Miami
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- Tax and Estate Planning sections of the American Bar Association