“If taxes are laid upon us without our having a legal representation where they are laid, we are reduced from the character of free subjects to the state of tributary slaves.”
Areas of Practice
- Corporate and Commercial Law
- Wills and Estates Law
I joined Keel Cottrelle LLP as Counsel in 2010. My practice focuses on:
- domestic and cross-border tax and estate planning solutions for high net worth individuals, including trust planning
- domestic and international Will and trust planning
- immigration and emigration tax planning, including US expatriation issues
- Immigration trusts and residency planning
- asset protection
- foreign ownership of Canadian and U.S. property, including reporting and compliance issues
- private client inbound and outbound issues
- domestic and cross-border insurance planning
- related private client tax controversy issues, including voluntary disclosures
- estate administration, including advising trustees on a variety of domestic and cross-border issues and tax reporting obligations
Prior to joining Keel Cottrelle LLP I articled at a national firm and later practiced with a boutique Toronto law firm where I was a partner.
- Speaker at the Ontario Bar Association, October 24, 2012 - “ A Practical Guide to Tax Considerations”.
- Speaker at the CFA Society Toronto, October 29, 2013 – “Americans Among Us! U.S. Issue Identification Workshop”.
- Speaker at Society of Trust and Estates Practitioners (STEP), November 05, 2013 – “ Down to Brass Tacks: Nailing FATCA, 8938, and FBAR Reporting for Trusts”.
- Speaker at Ontario Bar Association, May 05, 2014 – “ The Tax Consequences of U.S. Citizens Living and Working in Canada”.
- Speaker at the Federated Press “3rd Cross Border Personal Tax Planning Course”, May 14, 2014.
Publications, News & Media:
Recipient of the 2012 Widdifield Award for excellence in legal writing in the area of trusts and estates law
“Tax Amnesty for Americans Living Abroad”, Investment Executive, June 27, 2012
“Cross-Border Beneficiary Distributions: A Short History of Nearly Everything Tax”, Estates, Trusts and Pensions Journal (Vol. 30, 2011)
Guest on “The Current” with Anne Marie Tremonte (CBC Radio): Insurance and US Tax Law, September 8, 2011
“American Among Us”, National Post, July 30, 2011
“The Ultimate Pledge of Disallegiance”, National Post, September 2, 2011
- “The Long Reach of the US Tax Man” , Investment Executive, October 15, 2011
Call to the Ontario Bar, 2003
Call to the New York Bar, 2006
Bachelor of Laws, McGill University
- Masters of Law in Taxation, University of Miami